May 2, 2014

My dear Sister.

This is dedicated to my dear Sister, Dawn . Dawn is two years older than me. In her young 52 years she has had her fill of health problems. No fault of
her own, it's just the way life has been for her. 
This isn't going to be a pity party, because she would probably kill me if
she knew I was writing this. I, however feel that it needs to be said. 
Dawn, is the strongest woman that I know. 
She faces her challenges head on, doesn't ever feel sorry for herself . 
She has never worn a badge of " survivor" on the outside for everyone to see.
She just carries on and doesn't look back. I have never ever heard her
say or ask, "Why me?" 
At 33 years old she had a Brain stem tumor, and even though it wasn't cancerous,it
damaged her nerves on her left side of her face where, she lost her hearing on the left side, she lost the ability to smile or wink on the left side, she looked like
she had a stroke, but didn't. She was a mother of 5 children at the time with the 
youngest around 9 years old. 
She was thankful to be alive and pressed on. She accepted
various callings both in her ward and in the Stake.
Her next health challenge was when she was told she had 
Breast Cancer. It wasn't even two weeks from the time she was first diagnosed when
she had her Mastectomy.  She went through Radiation and Chemotherapy
and she received much support from friends and family.
I remember my younger sister and I took Dawn before her first surgery
to do Glamour Shots because we knew there would be changes in
Dawn's appearance. She accepted those changes like a champ. 
My younger sister took Dawn out wig shopping before the chemo started and they had a blast
trying on many wigs until she found a couple she really liked. Throughout these times Dawn received many Priesthood blessings, her name was put on Temple prayer rolls throughout the world, where
dear friends and family members lived. 
She again over came these challenges. Then came 2011, while Dawn was visiting her eldest
Son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren out of state, Dawn became gravely ill right before
she was to return home to California.  She had came down with Bacterial Meningitis. 
This illness almost did her in. She was in critical condition for sometime. 
At this time she was serving as her Ward's Relief Society President and once she was out of the woods,
She, like a General, was directing the troops, her counselors and sisters 
from her hospital bed two states away. She always took her RS Binder with her where ever she went.
She couldn't travel home for a month, so she did a lot of delegation until she
got home. 
Fast forward to this week, April 27, 2014, and again, she came down with
Meningitis.  I have had the privilege to serve my sister as she
has served many others while she has been in the Hospital. She shared with us, that  it
 all started with an ear ache then turning into a Headache that brought her to her knees with
a spiked fever. An Ambulance was called late Monday night with my Brother-in-law
following. I know he was so worried, I'm sure so many things went through his mind 
because of the seriousness of her condition. We got the call in the wee hours of the morning
and headed down to be with her.  I felt calm for some reason and knew that she would
be all right, but we needed to be there all the same. While we were there Dawn received
a special Priesthood blessing from her Bishop and another Brethren that happened to be in the Hospital where he was with his wife who was on the same floor as Dawn. 
I just want to say here - that it wasn't even an hour that transpired after she received her blessing that she was doing much better. From the time we got there in the morning to the time we left in the 
afternoon, she was doing a 100% better.  
Today we were with her again and she is progressing in a positive way. 
The headache is not as bad the swelling around her brain has gone down and she is coherent and still, she doesn't complain. She will have many days to convalesce and recover from this.
I don't know if I could handle the challenges the way she has. I don't know if
I could be that strong.  She is not done yet, I know there is much for her
 do here.  I love her very much and I am proud to be
her younger sister. 

She is Amazing.
 
This is her, on a very Happy Day, with her son, daughter-in-law and husband
at the LDS Sacramento Temple.


regards
"aka" georgie



 

No comments:

Post a Comment