May 23, 2013

Odds and ends

We have now lived in our place for a about a year and a half
where has the time gone? 
This month we have been working hard around the property
lots of weeding, weed-eating, trimming we even incorporated
some paid help.  It looks so good. 





So a few months ago when I was meeting with our CPA, I was telling him
(like he's a therapist) that I am at a point in my life -the second half that I want to pursue some of my interests,
and he said, "yes you do" but your other half is looking at wanting to slow down because
his retirement is on the horizon. "But, he said,  "that's okay", as long as we both support each other we will be okay. 
 As I approach this "new number" in my age, I'm feeling so excited about
opportunities,  - we are now "empty Nester's" officially and I LOVE our lives. Sure,
my body is changing menopause is not too far down the road, but I'm still the 20 something
if not the 17 year old inside. Ladies and gentlemen, maybe on the outside I look "ahem" but
I'm telling you on the inside, my spirit/mind could go TP a friend's house or "Oreo" their car, talk
all night with the girls till 3 in the morning at a sleep over,  play dress and make up, and make up home video short films - silent of course. 
 I love this time in my life. I am thankful for the opportunity to  pursue my hobbies, things that I am passionate about and developing them. Life is too short. I was listening to an interview
with a Former LDS  Mission President, President Gonzales.  I believe he and his wife are originally  from Guatemala. Any way the interviewer was asking them all kinds of question regarding their service for the Church and then she asked President Gonzales what is his passion, what does he like to do. He exclaimed that he loved the game of Soccer. Before he and his wife came to the United States he played on a league, he loved to attend the games and  now as he is  residing in the States he follows the American Teams. He said you need to take time for yourself and balance your life. Yes, you have your responsibilities, whether it is with your family, your work, your Church Callings, but the Lord also wants you to be happy and enjoy your Life. 
I feel there is a time and season for everything. When our children were young I remember seeing my mom in a different way, she was in her 50 or 60's and she shared with me the things that she was doing, she had written a couple of small pamphlet type books, she had taken up
painting and quite good if I might say. She was taking electronic keyboard lessons, she made Christmas cards, etc. 
I wasn't jealous, I was in awe. I never knew she had those interests before. I  knew 
she loved gardening, because she did that all my life, whether it was flower gardening or vegetable gardening. But these other interests were something I never knew about my Mom. 
I loved that for her. It was, after all, her time and her season to develop those things that she probably had to put off until her children were all grown and gone. 
What I took from that, was I looked forward to that time for myself to pursue my
creative interests when I graduated to that season. 
Well that time has come and I am enjoying discovering my interests. I know I can't fail 
because it is whatever I want it to be and that makes me happy. 
The only caveat is that I need to remember to balance my life. 
I still have my responsibilities and sometimes I feel guilty that I am doing
something fun.  I need to remember to prioritize. 
Kind of like homework, I need to do "the homework" first "my responsibilities first"
and then I can go out and "play". 

And now I get to do something that I love dearly and that
is, I get to see three little girls that I cherish deeply - my grandchildren
in Utah and I'll boarding the plane real soon. 
I am happy - so very happy!

TTYL

"georgie"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment