Jun 1, 2011

Calgon take me away..


Ever have one of those days when you want to just get away if not for just a couple of days. Well that's what we did. My hubby and I hadn't been away with just the two of us in a while and since it was a 3 day weekend we thought we would take advantage of it. I had been Internet surfing for Antique flea markets, but couldn't find anything really interesting. The only thing that caught my eye was a "Antique funky collectible sale" in Mill Valley. I like Mill Valley so off we went.

The "sale" in Mill Valley was a bust but it didn't matter because I found some new stores that I have never been in, not to mention the famous "Maison Reve". Maison is a lovely store, kinda pricey but a great store for ideas.

Tyler Florence was the great find of the day. Back story, I had recently been in Hartwick's Antiques in El Dorado and they had these metal baskets, I loved them, but I didn't want to pay their prices. Flash forward, I walk into Tyler's and they had them for more than 1/2 the price of Hartwicks. I had to buy two. They were such a good deal.

This is Benefit. I fell in love with their eyeliner in San Francisco, and here they were. I knew daughter 3 would love it if I got her very own. So I snatched one, my surprise for her from our trip.

I have to say, next to shopping with the girls, my hubby is the best. He is so patient, if he gets tired of wandering around following me in the stores, he'll find a bench outside and plug in his mp3 player and listen to his music until I'm done and then onto the next or he'll go off and find an open flower market and deli and come back and report what he's found for us for lunch.
And he did just that. After I was done perusing, I met him at Mill Valley Market & deli and we picked out some things for a picnic lunch that we took with us along our way.

Did I mention I actually took paper maps? They did help somewhat but the majority of the time I used my IPhone Map quest app. Our next stop or pass through was Stinson Beach. But before that, we pulled on the side of the road and split a Turkey Avocado roll up, chips and drink. Stinson was bustling with people, we didn't stop this time but kept going and winding our way toward Olema and Point Reyes Station. Did I also tell you I know where the bathrooms are in Point Reyes? Lots of practice. The sun and rain clouds were playing tag this day. Stopped and took a picture of this old house, just because I love old houses.


Made our way away from the coast and headed east towards Petaluma. We checked in
our modest accommodations Best Western. It was the same BW we stayed in 22 years ago. The rooms have improved. We walked through the streets of this town. It is alot bigger than we remembered and there are many great restaurants. After going back and forth trying to decide we settled on Central Market a organic restuarant in the historic district. We split a salad, soup and shared a Gourmet mushroom & cheese pizza baked to perfection from their brick fire oven. Finished it off with a piece of Mayan chili chocolate from Viva Chocolat a few doors down.


The next day we were headed to the valley of the vines. I love all the little towns on Hwy 128/29. First stop Calistoga. Sam Brannon discovered Calistoga and planned the layout of it's town. He wanted it to become a resort where people would flock to enjoy it's hot springs. He made some ill investments and if you know the story, he died penniless. The Calistoga Museum talks alot about his life and right next store to the museum is one of his many homes.

We headed toward St Helena, but before we made it we stopped at the Beautiful Berringer Winery. And no not for the wine. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. I read about it's history and went through the Hudson home which was built 1873 and was purchased by Mr. Berringer he had it moved to it's current location on the grounds for his family. I will end this for now
to be contd stay tuned to my next post for more finds.

"georgie"

1 comment:

  1. Oh Patsy, I am so glad to have found your blog through Amy. Not only did I LOVE your posts about Dolly's wedding and all the gorgeous work you put into the planning and preparation, I am also so thoroughly enjoying your adventures with old houses and travels. I too have an appreciation for old places, little out of the way stories and histories gathering dust and moss and weeds. They haunt my romantic dreams. I am definitely a new follower!
    Fondly,
    Heather Beatty

    ReplyDelete