Apr 3, 2012

Feasting upon the word literally

This weekend was rainy and windy so it was a great time to stay indoors and
watch
General Conference see: lds.org and cook and bake. I loved that I could stay in my sweats
all weekend long..




I made this Lentil white bean soup and "Marie Calendar" cheese biscuts.




The biscuits were semi-homemade but they turned out nice and flaky.




The next night, I decided to make more comfort food, like these
mashed potatoes and fried chicken thighs. Nothing beats comfort food on a
cold and chilly evening.

Cooking can be dangerous, because I'm always tasting, especially baking. Lately I've been in the mood for baking and normally I'll watch the HGTV channels and not
watch the Food Network, but sometimes I'll get pulled into watching my favorites
like The Barefoot Contessa and Giada and then ...... Anywhoo
today my wonderful trainer, Jessica Miller from Action Potential gave me
two great recipes that use 93% lean ground Turkey and ground beef.
I made her Turkey burgers tonight and they were fantastic. The key is the spices and
ingredients in the Turkey burger itself. I'll share the recipe:

3/4 pound ground turkey (I doubled the recipe)
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
3 tablespoons olive oil
mix all the ingredients except for the olive oil
use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium hear. Cook the patties turning once until no trace of pink remains 4-5 minutes. (I cooked them until golden brown on each side)
Meanwhile take the remaining olive oil and brush slices of whole wheat bread and broil the bread on a baking sheet until golden brown. Transfer the bread to individual plates. Top
with lettuce leaves and what ever condiments you prefer. (This made a lot so I took half of the uncooked turkey mix and put it in the freezer for another day)
They are very tasty!

Enjoy

"georgie"


No comments:

Post a Comment