Oct 4, 2011

Lemons & Meringue

This was one of the pictures that inspired Mackenzie in her decor for her wedding reception. So we tried to duplicate it. I bought tons of lemons from Costco. Regular lemons
and my new discovery of Meyer Lemons.

So what to do with all those lemons afterwards? Again, more food therapy.
I decided to make Lemon Meringue Pie, but this time I wanted to make
not only my favorite Traditional Lemon Meringue but I wanted to
try Paula Deen's Southern Lemon Meringue.

I have always loved my Mom's Lemon Meringue Pie I think it is my
most favorite pie in the world. I remember every Thanksgiving she would make them along with the Traditional Pumpkin and Apple pies. There's something about that lemony (if that is such a word) zesty taste, it just makes your mouth pucker.

So again with my Mom's help we set out to squeeze and zest every last one of those lemons. I first made the Traditional Betty Crocker Lemon Meringue, you know the recipe that calls for cornstarch. I have to confess I am not a connoisseur when it comes to making crust. I didn't inherit that talent. My sister, Dawn got that talent. She, In my opinion makes a great crust. So I opted for the Pillsbury roll out crust. Still edible but not as pretty as homemade.

I have to say it tasted mighty good with just the right zestiness. Next I took the plunge and made Paula's Southern Lemon Meringue Pie. Oh my goodness!! It was to die for. It is very creamy and very different from Betty Crocker. Paula Deen's recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk and no cornstarch. The recipe is below. When both pies were done we brought in our unofficial taste testers, Hubby- David and daughter Cecelia to see which one they liked the best.

Before I tell you which one they chose, my Mom had her opinion and stuck with the Traditional. David agreed with Mom and Cecelia and I loved Paula's. They're both scrumptiously delicious I wouldn't turn down either one. So here's Paula's recipe and you can decide.
....................................................................................................................
Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 egg yolks
1 (8-inch) pre-baked pie shell or crumb crust

Meringue:

3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar
1/4 cup sugar

Directions

In medium bowl, combine milk, lemon juice, and zest; blend in egg yolks. Pour into cooled crust.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks from. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff. Spread over filling; seal to edge of crust. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
* Raw Eggs

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

Total Time:
25 min
Prep
10 min
Cook
15 min

Yield:
6 to 8 servings

Level:
Easy










1 comment:

  1. Um, can you please send the pie to Utah with grandma as well. Thanks so much! ;)

    ReplyDelete