May 13, 2012

For my Mother.

This is dedicated to my Mom. 
I always thought my mom was photogenic. Don't you think so? I admire my mom
for so many reasons. She grew up on a tiny island, in a small village of Leone of 
American Samoa. She was the youngest girl but not the youngest, of 9 children. She said that she always wanted to become a Stewardess (flight attendant) but she knew her parents could never in her 
wildest dreams afford to send her off to New York, USA to do so. She was a good student and
 good girl. When she was about 20 or 21 she was working at her small job, she had heard that an airline was looking to train and hire Stewardesses right there on her island, but the window of opportunity was very short and if she didn't apply the next day she would miss it. 
She went the next afternoon and interviewed. To her greatest surprise she got
the job and they wanted to train her right away.  A great tender Mercy of the Lord had heard a long
awaited wish from this South Pacific girl's heart. With tears in her eyes, She told me she knew her Heavenly Father knew her and
loved her.
When my mom was working as a Stewardess she met my Dad, he was a frequent passenger as he
traveled from Island to Island with his job. My mom must have caught his eye and he pursued her
with much determination. She said that she wasn't sure about him and always insisted that she was much too busy and when she finally said yes to a date she took her girlfriends along, always. 
My Dad finally approached my Mom's Father and told him that he wanted to marry my Mom. 
Her Father gave my Dad,  his Blessing. 


Here she is on her Wedding Day in Citrus Heights, California 
January 1960. She was a Beautiful Bride. 



Happy Mother's Day to my Mom,
Joan Galeai Scott Holland.
I love you! 
Love
Patsy
P.S.  pass this on to her if you can , you, my cousins on the Island, You know
Auntie Joan doesn't have a computer.  Loves and kisses.

1 comment:

  1. I love Grandma Joan! She's my hero. She is so beautiful and photogenic. I want to be just like her when I grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete