Mar 9, 2011

Passion is an evolution

I don't know if it's age or a passion that has laid dormant for years waiting to
come out at the appropriate time, (I'm thinking for me, it just wasn't the season until now), but when I think about color swatches, floor plans, vintage finds, my heart starts to race and my adrenalin goes up. It is one thing that surpasses eating, which makes it pretty big, because I LOVE, love food!! I was reading one of my favorite blogs and she "Shabby Nest" said it best when she said:
I redecorate to nourish my soul. It is a passion. It is an art.
Now my disclaimer is: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Other's may not like your taste but that doesn't matter, because Art or decor is whatever you like, just like Your Blog. You own it. Now is it a talent? Maybe. Again, taking another quote from Shabby Nest,
"I encourage them to hone their art".
Just like practicing the Piano, for hours at a time, the same goes for the art in decorating or design. For me I still feel I am a student in this, but I love, love the homework.
Sometimes after rearranging my furniture or room it isn't quite what I envisioned, but that's okay, that's the beauty of decorating, you can change it back or keep it and change it after awhile, in my case it maybe the next season. I have
found through this process that I do love the classics because they do stand the test of time. I have done the trends, fads or hot colors of the year but it can get costly. When your foundation is classical or more traditional it's easier/cheaper to mix it up with accessories.
In the 80's it was the country slate blue and yellow, remember the ducks? And wallpaper, who didn't wallpaper? I had this slate blue & white oriental thing going on, on my dining room wall and the duck thing in my kitchen. In the 90's we were doing the earth tones, burnt oranges, browns, rusts and South Western motif, we even had the antlers and serape draped in our great room.
2000 brought us the berber carpet, you know the loose loop construction type carpeting with small dark specks and light/white color. I was crazy enough to put that through my whole house, with 4 kids. What was I thinking? It was so hard to keep clean. I remember one of my kids' I will leave nameless, spilled something one time when no one else was around and decided to put some type of colored towel on it.
Well I don't have to tell you what the color of that spot was. I tried everything to get the stain out. I ended up buying a large area rug to cover this up and it was that way for several years, until we remodeled our home again.
So I guess in the end, for me decorating and redecorating is therapeutic,
and it gets the endorphins going and that's a good thing. Correcte?

No comments:

Post a Comment