May 8, 2011

Missouri Flat School

I have lived in my town for 24 years and I have never heard of the
old Missouri Flat School until last week. It was built in 1863 and it is still standing
with it's original hardwood floors, stage and office.


I first noticed this ominous building after visiting a friend. I was leaving her home and as I was driving away on her road I looked to my left and through the trees I saw this large building. It looked darker than this on the other side kind of like a Black Whale from Moby Dick. I know I have a wild imagination. But it struck me, "What is this building" in the middle of this residential neighborhood?" It looked like it just didn't belong when the homes around it weren't very old. I didn't think too much about it until last week when on the main road 7121 Green Valley Road I saw a "for sale" sign in front of this large lawn with a circular driveway. Way back on the left hand side was that large building and on the right was a bungalow. I looked up the Listing site and it showed pictures. Apparently the home was built in 1931 and the property included 3 parcels with "the bit of Placerville history" the Missouri Flat School 1863. All you history buff nerds like me would love to walk through this building, the "if these walls could talk" thing. I am just fascinated that after all these years I have never heard of this school. I did some googling and haven't really found too much on the history of it. Amazing.

Take care

"georgie"

No comments:

Post a Comment