Aug 23, 2009

Journey take 1#

So, here I go again. I did this once before and I can do it again, at least I hope. Hopefully this time it will stick. About 3 1/2 years ago I lost weight, the motivator, my daughter's wedding. 3 1/2 years later I have put the weight back on and then some. Well flash forward, I don't have a wedding to go to but my doctor says for health reasons I should look at that again. I have noticed more in the past year my hip joints hurt daily, and no matter what kind of exercise I do, they continue to hurt. My doctor says I'm too young to start losing bone mass. It could be a couple of things, early stages of arthritis in my joints (which runs in the family) or additional weight gain. Some of the weight, she says is typical for pre-menopause, all women start to gain some fat in the stomach area. Boy don't I know it. So I am looking at this as a challenge, if TC can run a marathon by November, I can certainly lose these extra pounds for health reasons.
My wonderful younger sister has stepped in to be my mentor after all she helped me before. She and her husband just completed a program and she has maintained her healthy weight for 30 days now. ** Okay, please don't roll your eyes, and you know who you are**. I am convinced if I write this down, that she or someone will hold me accountable. I have to tell myself I can do it. This program is very unusual, and I have read all the literature and instructions for it. The weirdest part about it is the first two days, which I just completed. They are called the pig out days. You must eat very high fat content food for two days and you take these drops twice a day along with it. FOR EXAMPLE: DISCLAIMER MIGHT MAKE YOU SICK: Saturday morning I went to McDonalds and bought a egg,cheese,bacon Mcgriddle with a med Coke. I will tell you it about made throw up. It took me forever to eat it, it was sooooooo gross!! I sat in the parking lot eating this, because I had other shopping to do and I indeed felt like a pig. I was so full afterwards that I didn't want to eat lunch later. But, I knew I had to keep eating, so later in the afternoon I made a chocolate mint milk shake. Dinner, around 7pm I waddled back to McDonalds and bought 2 3/4 pounder Deluxe hamburgers, fries and a med Sprite, I would eat one of the hamburgers that evening and the other one today. Makes me sick just thinking about it. This morning I made waffles and two eggs and juice. I just couldn't eat all the waffles and this evening I couldn't eat my whole hamburger I ended up sharing with David. *But this is really important so I hope I have eaten enough food. Then for the next 18 days you are on a very very very limited calorie intake (noticed I haven't said the (D) word). You continue to take these drops twice daily. This program is very strict and you can not deviate? from it. After the 18 days, you will stop the drops and continue with the limited calorie program for 3 more days after the 3 days you go on a maintenance program for 21 days. It really comes down to portion control. Anyone can do this, men or women and it is the same for everyone. I hope I can do this. 18 day's when you say it doesn't sound like alot but I'm sure I'm gonna have those "What the heck am I doing?" days. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Go for it Patsy! If you can get through the first 2 days of this, the rest should be a piece of cake! Whoops....did I say cake? Don't you even think about it! You CAN do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'll watch your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom! I don't understand. How about instead of taking these drops and feeling sick, you just stop eating out, eat healthy yummy food, eat less of it, maybe do some pilates, and go running instead of walking. That's what I've been doing for the past couple months and so far I have lost 10 pounds. I know if I can do it, you can do it. Especially since you've done it before and you weighed less than I did last August. Hey mom, how about we do this together, just a couple states apart. It will be a competition. I hope to lose 5 pounds and have a six pack by the end of the year. We'll check our progress when you come out here for Christmas. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete