Apr 19, 2011

Wakamatsu Silk & Tea Colony






My hubby planned a day date for us to take this Guided Tour to


the Former Wakamatsu Silk and Tea Colony Farm located near Gold Hill, CA



This is the Historic Graner House once occupied by



the Wakamatsu Colonists.





I love this old Wisteria vine right outside the Graner House



as you know I love everything old and I especially love history.



I like to know the stories behind it all. Who were the people that


once lived here, how was their life.



You gotta wonder what it was like on this wrap around porch how


they spent their days living here.



The day we were here the temperature was a beautiful high 60's to low 70's.


There was a light breeze a perfect day for a farm tour and light hike.



This monument was in memory and tribute to one of the first


Japanese Colonists, the Wakamatsu colonists.



This was a moment that touched me, a Japanese girl named



Okei. She came as a nurse-maid to John Schnell's children at the age


of seventeen and tragically got ill 2 years later and past away at nineteen.


This was a great scene with these horses. They were there to


round up the cattle. The land is still used for grazing. I just thought


it was kind of romantic or maybe I'm just a sucker for "the cowboy"


Americana look.



The back end of this barn on the left was used when they brought in the


cows to slaughter. Not my favorite part of the tour. I didn't take


any pictures inside. The tour is about 2 hours long. They offering these tours


every 1st and 3rd Saturdays right now. If you love history and would




enjoy a walking tour, then you will like it. I also loved spending time


with the Mr.

No comments:

Post a Comment